Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Potato Rice


Potato Rice....Sometime back, I had a party at home and i remember how muzzy i was on the previous day thinking what rice dish to make for the party. ( Surprisingly it took me little time to settle conclusively on the other dishes :-) ) I was looking for a simple and a yummy rice dish since i did not want to spend a long time in the kitchen.
I ended up calling my mom who is my wise and trusted guide and advisor.She gave me this wonderful recipe of Potato rice.I made it exactly the way she told me to do it except that i forgot to add cloves and bay leaves:-) .The party was a conspicuous success and everybody loved my Potato Rice.Kids loved it too!:-)


Ingredients :


2 cups of Basmati Rice (Wash,clean and soak in water for 30 mins)
1 big potato (Peel the skin and chop them into small pieces)
5-6 tablespoon of green peas(optional)
1/2 cup of chopped onions
4-5 tablespoon of chopped tomatoes
1-2 green chillies
7-8 cashewnuts (broken into halves)
2-3 tablespoon of Oil/ghee
1 tablespoon of Ghee
1/2 tablespoon of turmeric powder
1/2 tablepsoon of coriander powder
1/2 tablespoon of cumin powder
1 teaspoon of garam masala powder
5-6 tablespoon of Mint Leaves
Salt


Heat some oil/ghee in a deep saute pan.Fry the cashewnuts and once they start changing color, add the chopped onions and green chillies.Fry onions till they start changing color.Do not over fry them.
Then add tomatoes,turmeric powder,coriander powder,cumin powder and garam masala powder.
Mix well and saute for 3-4 mins.Add the potatoes,green peas and mint leaves.Mix well and saute for 2 mins.Now add the basmati rice (after draining the water) and mix well.
Saute for 2 more mins.Cook the rice in a rice cooker or pressure cooker.Serve hot with raitha.

1 comment:

Raghav said...

This will be my Week End Special Dish!